Thursday, June 6, 2013

More interior work: Center console (Part 1)

My car was originally equipped with the Interior Décor Group, that included the automatic transmission center console, a large, elegant and very expensive piece. Current prices for a reproduction are over $1,000.0. from a typical classic mustang parts supplier. I finally took mine apart and renovated it to bring back a fresh look as much as possible. It was a 1-day job that saved me from house chores or total boredom. Taking it apart was an easy job of removing the original 8-Track FoMoCo radio, 6 nuts and unsnapping the brushed metal trim.

While inspecting it, I found the origin of some of the squeaking noise inside the car; loose parts:


The console is in good shape for being a 47-year original, but a structural "crossbar" had to be glued back together, and a small crack pressed together and epoxied. I think that all of these broken and detached parts contributed to squeaks inside the car.

I painted the plastic with Ivy Gold interior dye which seems to stick fine to the harder plastic and look natural.


The brushed metal surfaces will have to be covered with an overlay since my originals are beyond salvation; too faded, scratched and pitted (the rear one served as a cup holder for too long). The 5-piece brushed metal overlay kit costs $189.00, but it's worth it for the big difference it makes. There's a mylar (plastic sticker) overlay sold for about $70.0, but I'll draw the line there.

The original Ford radio is a museum piece that still works.

Then I cleaned and masked the simulated black leather part and painted them black satin

So that was a nice weekend project. When the metal overlays arrive I'll put everything back together. I'm sure It will look a lot better and feel a lot tighter.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. At least you have access to console parts. the 68 consoles aren't being reproduced as far as I know and I'll have to have it replated. :-/

    ReplyDelete