Sunday, November 3, 2013

Installing Rear Applique Panels

Even though I prefer the 67-68's look with chrome bezels around the tail lights, the rear appliques are a rather rare option for 67 Mustangs. So I felt it'd be a good thing to leave them as one of my car's unique features. These are also hard to find in original, pot metal. As reproductions (in cast aluminum), they can be quite expensive at about $280.0-$300.0.
I always liked these panels painted in gloss silver or charcoal gray, so this was my chance to finally get these painted the way I like them. STN Auto Restorations had them media blasted to remove at least 2 older coats of paint. When the car was painted in the mid 1990's the previous painter did not remove the appliques and just painted them in place. This was all corrected when STN painted the car this year. After blasting, the panels were painted gloss metallic silver. I think they look really nice.

                                                      The original look before repainting:
 
New tail light lenses were also installed:

After positioning the panel, I attached the lower threaded studs to the panel's lower posts
Then I screwed in the three top studs and fastened the nuts





The shiny glossy silver appliques, along with the chrome trim and the pop-open gas cap give my coupe a distinguished look. Once I get that trunk lid straightened out and the emblems installed, it's going to look awesome.


7 comments:

  1. Your car is really looking great! I agree that the rear panel insert looks much better with the detail you have restored. Great update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like the look of the applique on the coupes. I don't think they fit as well on the fastbacks. The silver really sets off the rear end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks WAY better than the PO's painted applique. Nice work Ivan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That silver makes all the difference in the world! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sven
    The applique in silver looks great. You always add a little touch to your cars that makes them stand out in the crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you're looking to lose weight then you certainly need to try this totally brand new personalized keto plan.

    To create this keto diet service, certified nutritionists, personal trainers, and cooks have joined together to provide keto meal plans that are effective, convenient, money-efficient, and satisfying.

    Since their launch in early 2019, hundreds of people have already remodeled their figure and well-being with the benefits a proper keto plan can give.

    Speaking of benefits: in this link, you'll discover eight scientifically-tested ones given by the keto plan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice car Ivan. I think the inserts are one of the coolest, most unique options out there. I recently Marti'ed a local car that was had two-tone option-gray over the entire light panel. I prefer no body color around the gas-hole and outer edge. Best look I have seen is semi-gloss black paint on the panel and the inserts, but brushed fins and perimeter edge. I am build a '67 convertible, but using fastback inserts and a spoiler-ed trunk lid (with a straight edge). Happy trails, JB

    ReplyDelete