Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Small jobs that make a huge difference

Getting rid of 40-year old worn out weatherstrip rubber, felt, watershield and insulation was next on my Mustang project. Not only because it was all crackled and weathered, but also because of the awful smell of rotten rubber that makes a car smell like a...46-year old car.

VENT WINDOW WEATHERSTRIP
I finally tackled the weatherstrip around the vent windows and found it to be easier than I thought it would be.

1  2
The Scott Drake replacement kit is of excellent quality and fit perfectly, at a better price than the "original Ford" types that you can still get from some suppliers. The photos above show a comparison between the new rubber and the old. After 46 years old, it was time for a replacement!
3 4
The assembly was taken apart, cleaned and reassembled with the new parts. First was the window to door seal (4), the inner (triangular) weatherstrip (5) and the thin frame-to-door seal strips (6) using 3M emblem adhesive. 
  
5 6
   8


The original, worn, door run weatherstrip felt (7) was also removed and replaced. This will greatly reduce the rattle inside the door, from the window glass while rolled down.
 

SOUND DEADENER REPLACEMENT
Once that was done, I replaced the original (rotten and awfully stinking) insulation/sound deadening felt from behind the inner quarter trim panels. Yes, I put on my filter mask and latex gloves on for this one!  I removed the original pieces and laid them over the new material. Then I cut them to shape and glued them to the clean panels using spray glue. Nothing to it.

I did the same for the rear seat to trunk divider with the leftover sound deadener.
--0--
I ordered new watershields for the quarter and brand-new (and quite expensive) door panels. I really don't want these to catch any water! These are made of a clear plastic film, not paper like the originals. Fit was good and it can easily be trimmed if necessary.

Finally, I also pre-assembled the new, shiny tail light lenses I bought a year ago:
NICE!
I asked the bodyshop to repaint my car's aplique panels in gloss metallic gray instead of color-keyed lime gold. My best understanding is that the aplique panels came from the factory unpainted (aluminum). I think they will look a lot better in the new metallic gray:

Happy 4th of July to all my good friends!

2 comments:

  1. Nice work Ivan! Replacing the quarter window seals was one job I've skipped and still need to do. Now I can use your walk-through as a guide. Thanks!

    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The devil is in the details, Ivan. It's amazing how something as replacing weatherstripping can be so involved and time consuming. But you can't argue with the results! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete