Thursday, May 30, 2013

One thing about chrome trim...

It's been a long while since I posted anything on my Blog. It must have been the long winter. We are finally seeing nice warm days, but I don't have a lot of time before the cold returns in October. The car is still getting worked on. Progress has been slow. It was a long winter for them too, but it's coming out very nicely.






I'd say it's even better than it was before. Panels fit a lot better, all flush, creases are sharper and gaps are even. The doors have been removed and are being worked on. Some primer has been applied. Here's the website:
http://stnsecondtonone.com/?page_id=1028

In the meantime, Alanis and I have been keeping busy ordering new parts, cleaning and organizing the garage, and cleaning and polishing the chrome trim.


One thing about chrome trim is that there are no in-betweens. It either looks good and can be polished for reuse, or it gets replaced. The problem is finding good enough trim, that matches the luster, smoothness and quality (thickness) of the original Ford. My car was in such good shape that most of the original trim is still there, but some is too banged up and scratched to be reused. I ordered all replacement trim from my supplier; CJ Ponyparts. They carry several brands like Motowell, Classic Reproductions and Scott Drake. Of the three, Scott Drake makes the best quality, but you got to get what's available, and within your budget. My new hood trim is Motowell brand while my deck lid trim is Classic Reproductions. Neither of these brands have the deep luster, smoothness and quality feel of the original Ford. It is a pity that some original trim can't be restored for reuse. They are of such excellent quality compared to the new stuff. But they are beyond repair.  So I have to be careful not to install new and old trim side by side. The difference will surely be noticed.
We are using 0000-gauge steel wool (from Walmart) and it works great for both cleaning and polishing. It leaves no micro scratches or lines that can be discernible. I don't have to use anything else.
I still have to convince my wife to let me buy a new horse and corral and side blades, since my original is too pitted. This is one chrome part that I think must look good above all others. It falls outside of my planned budget, so talks and negotiations are in effect.... A fair happy medium would be to get the side blades new, and repaint the corral

The vent windows are also getting a thorough cleaning, polishing and lube job. Also I am replacing the old rubber and felt with a replacement kit.


We are glad winter is over. It was a long and bitter one. But we are back to work and eagerly awaiting the arrival of El Chato in shiny lime gold.

2 comments:

  1. It's going to look great Ivan! Man... I wore out a bundle of steel wool on my trim. There was overspray from the "restoration" back in the 80's on everything! Hope yours isn't nearly as painful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The waiting for the finished painted car would drive me nuts Ivan. Glad you have the bright work to keep you occupied. On the grill parts...let's see...there's Father's Day, and your birthday, and Christmas, and whatever other day you can parlay into a grill for a present. Oh! Wedding anniversary. Well, maybe not. LOL!

    ReplyDelete