Friday, January 25, 2013

Going to the Bodyshop!

Well, the time came for my Mustang to go to the body shop. STN Restorations will complete all bodywork and paint the car in its original lime gold color. I am delighted that I finally found a suitable auto body shop for my car. These gentlemen appreciated my car from the beginning, understanding its relative rarity among currently remaining 67 coupes, and encouraged me to maintain its original look, feel and character.

The plan is to get the car back by May and I will complete the renovations like new chrome trim (where needed), new seals everywhere, new floor insulation and carpeting, door panels, new 7" styled steel wheels, new leaf springs, and a lot more. Hopefully after the car hits the road I will save some money and replace the entire electrical wiring which is all original and in poor shape, although it seems to work properly.
One of the reasons I decided to farm out the remaining bodywork and paint is because I just don't have the skills, tools or facilities necessary to make the car look the way I wanted it to look. So I left this to the professionals. Also, all the hand block sanding and difficult body positions was taking its toll on my already bruised joints. 

6 comments:

  1. Yay! Off to get beautified! I completely understand your reluctance to DIY the body work. Now what are you going to do until May?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, I'll be shopping for new parts, cleaning/polishing reusable chrome trim, catching up on my reading, movies, just kick back and rest my high-mileage Army bones, etc... My wife and kinds tell me I never get bored. I was planning a trip to the nearby Eastwood store (@ 1.5 hours), but now I have no reason to go!
    I'll figure something out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not often that someone faces the facts honestly and farms out work that they know if beyond them. Good for you! Now how long do we have to wait to see the finished product? Maybe you could post some progress pictures while it's at the body shop...just a hint. ;- )

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is the Company's website:
    http://stnsecondtonone.com/?page_id=1028

    They will be posting pictures of the job as it progresses. Dennis, I feel like I took 1000 pounds of weight off my shoulders. Deep inside I knew my skill were not up to the challenge, and that I was not going to be satisfied with the results if I had done the bodywork/painting myself.
    The car should be back by the middle of May, hopefully. Then I should have all the parts and accessories ready for installation. It's going to be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your coupe is a special one and deserves the best. You're obviously doing that and in the end, you'll be glad you made the decisions you've made along the way. Besides, it gives you all that time to get the rest of the mechanical pieces-parts ready for assembly. :-D

      Delete