Sunday, January 20, 2013

1968 Road Trip in a 1964 Mercury Comet

My dad sent me these old pictures, one from one of several road trips we took from our home on the north coast town of Loiza Valley, PR, across the Central Cordillera (scary, very scary back then!), to the south coast town of Guanica, where my dad was born. There are other, even older photos of us in Guanica when I was a baby, but this road trip photo is very special because I remember when we stopped to take this photo. My dad would not let me leave the car and we had been on the road for like 4 hours!
Back then the trip to Guanica took about 6-7 hours, and you arrived very tired and sick with nausea from the smog and the terribly dangerous, narrow, winding roads around the rugged mountains of the Central Cordillera. Now days is a leisurely drive of less than 3 hours through the majestic Las Americas Highway, completed in 1972.
I am the little 3-year old kid in the back with my older sister. My mom is in the front seat with my baby sister. My two cousins are waving. My dad took the picture.
The second pic is the Comet, my dad's second car, parked on our then brand new home's driveway. My dad was (still is) a Ford Guy. Back then he worked at the now closed, huge Fomoco Plant in Canovanas, PR, where they built all kinds of parts for Ford cars and trucks. Those were the days of the 1968 Mustang. the Galaxy and the Fairlane, but we were poor, we had a simple but very reliable 6-cylinder Comet that never ever broke down.

2 comments: