Friday, November 9, 2012

Bodywork post Hurricane Sandy

Well, Sandy destroyed my recently completed paint booth, so I took the remaining frame pieces and tarp scattered all over the yard and placed them on a corner of the booth floor. I'll try to put it back together during this 3-day weekend (Veteran's Day)...We were lucky to get only some storm-strength wind gusts. Nothing bad really happened, except...


Today was finally nice and sunny (although a chilly 43-degrees), so I resumed bodywork after a week of inactivity. I'm using Evercoat Rage Gold Body Filler.




I know its time to remove the remaining trim (side vents, door handle, etc...) but right now I just want to complete all bodywork and the shaping and sculpting before it gets really cold around here.
Now to the movies to watch Skyfall. Life is good!

5 comments:

  1. That Sandy was a heartless b****! Sorry you lost your paint booth but am glad the damage wasn't more serious for you. Looking forward to your filler work. I discovered pretty quickly that I don't have the temperament for it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Car is looking good. Filler and blocking can take just as much time as the metal work. Can't wait to see how everything turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're at the point I dream about...filler application. This is however one of the painstaking task of body work. Looks like you're off to a good start. Take your time and the results will be worth it. I think I went through 3 gallons of filler on my 1929 Model A Hotrod and maybe a quart remained on the car. The rest was swept up. Great progress Ivan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its great to see someone jumping in and doing the hard yards themselves. Anyone can through dollars at a car for a result from professionals but the true enthusiasts have a go....
    The rage gold is pretty much the best body filler out there for ease of working. I do body work for a living mainly on pre 70s cars. If you would like some advice to help you along with your body work I would be glad to help. I dont want to be a wise ass jumping in saying to do this or that so if want some help let me know.
    I own a 67 mustang vert which is getting a 393 upgrade at the moment.
    Good luck with your project.
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Shane for your kind words and offer for help. I will surely need it down the road. My car is getting picked up by STN Auto Restorations to complete remaining bodywork and paintjob. I was finally able to find a suitable local shop for my car! The last few days have been cloud nine for me. I should have the car back by May. Then I'll complete the rest of the work; all exterior trim, interiors (new carpeting and trim), new leaf springs, wheels, etc... The Blacktop job will also be farmed out. It should all be good, but wish us luck!

    ReplyDelete