Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September-grinding and sanding

A lot of little things have been done lately. And you know what they say about a lot of little things; they add to one big thing. I got me a new sheet finishing sander from HF Tools and with it and a 60-grit  flap disk and my grinder I was able to accelerate the sanding process a lot. It is getting dangerously close to priming time.

I was able to repair a broken headlight bucket. It was broken in 3 separate pieces that were cold-welded together using JB Weld metal-reinforced Epoxy. But the part still needs a little sanding and shaping, so I will post pics on a later entry...
I removed both vent windows to complete the door sanding process and made a quick assessment of what needs to be done. If I had the money, I would buy both complete assemblies at about $320.00 ea (at my local supplier). But I can only replace the slightly pitted FoMoCo-stamped originals and refurbish the rest with  all new seals and inserts.
 
One thing I quickly discovered is that when the car was repainted in 1995, the vent window frames were not removed, only masked, so I'm glad I took these out for a good upgrade. Looking at the Scott Drake Catalog for 2012, It listed the following (modified here by myself for simplicity):
Vent window Frame-------------C7ZZ6521608-A-----$49.95
Front door glass run inserts------C7ZZ-6521546/7A---$26.95 (pair)
Vent window seal---------------C7ZZ-6521488-AR---$22.95 (ea left or right)
Vent window frame to door seal-C607-6322280-------$4.95 (ea)
Vent window to door seal-------C7ZZ-6522332/3-----$13.95 (ea)
Window Channel Strips---------C7ZZ-6521458/9R---$66.95 (kit)
I can also but the frame and glass assy instead:
Frame and Glass--------------------------------------- $96.00(R)  and $104.00(L)
So there we have it. It's going to be a $150.0-plus purchase (per vent window) no matter how I slice it. I just hope they all fit properly, look accurate and last a long time.


No comments:

Post a Comment