Wednesday, July 4, 2012

July 4. Cowl Removal

Today I finally removed the entire cowl assembly. It was not so easy since I had to detach (unbolt) some parts from underneath the lower cowl.; the wiper arms at 2 places, the wiper motor bracket, the air vent above the plenum, some cables, etc. I finally got a good look at the stuff unserneath the cowl (behind the dash). Pretty scary stuff. I will definitely have to replace or repair some hoses large and small. the AC ducts can be repaired and reconditioned. Now I know why some controls did not work! Several small hoses were detached so, in the end, I'm not just going to clean rust and paint, but repair many electrical and mechanical components.
With the exception of parts of the firewall, all panels and aprons are in good shape and easy to clean of the superficial rust. After cleaning, the surfaces will be treated with a rust reformer/converter, coated with undercoating as necessary, painted lime gold, and the new underlayment and carpet installed.



The great news is that my Mustang Parts supplier; CJ Ponyparts, agreed to accept the lower cowl repair end panels back, and send me the entire cowl assembly, me paying just the difference. It is nice knowing they are  willing to help me with my project, and not just sell me parts.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/
http://thecurb.us/Webazine/Pits/cowl/Early_Mustang_cowl_repair.pdf
http://www.youtube.com/user/Mr67Stanger?feature=mhee
--------------------------------------------UPDATE----------------------------------
Well, I finally welded the lower cowl end repair panels back to CJ and in the mean time, I'll work to remove the bits of sheetmetal welded to the firewall. I'll also straighten the surrounding panels and re-patch the holes left during the drill-out process.


No comments:

Post a Comment